What ants eat? And why it matters!
One of the main considerations when it comes to dealing with pests is their food source. Know what they eat, equates to know what attracts them. The same is true for ants and with most of their species being omnivores (it means they feed on animal and plant matter) it means there is enough food for them to choose from.
Share this Image On Your Site
What ants eat and will eat if they find pieces of it lying around:
- Fruit – Mostly sweet fruits.
- Honeydew – This is a sticky sugar rich liquid that aphids secrete.
- Meat – Chicken, Beef, Pork. There are some ant species that are only carnivorous and hunt other insects.
- Chocolate – I once saw a packet of Rolo chocolates where the ants had opened up the chocolate cup and carried away all the caramel.
- Insects in general
- Engine oil
- Fungus – Some ants live off fungus they cultivate in their nests grown on chewed up leaves and flowers
Did you know that ants have different feeding patterns during the year?
When it starts getting colder ants prefer going after high protein foods such as nuts and biltong. So you better make sure to hide it away in air tight containers. In spring time ants have a bit of a sweet tooth.
How can I reduce the chance of ants looking for food in my kitchen?
- As I stated before, keep your food in airtight containers.
- Sweep up and vacuum regularly.
- Wash your floor regularly and make sure you clean up spills sooner rather than later.
- Don’t leave your dirty dishes overnight.
- Keep your kitchen counters clean.
- Remember to do a spring clean of your cupboards. It will reduce the available food for them to pick up.
- Check for holes and cracks in the walls that lead outside and seal them. (Acrylic filler works great, ask your local hardware store clerk for it.)
If you have followed all of the above mentioned steps to control your ant infestation in Port Elizabeth and still need help contact us.